If you are applying for the Philosophy MA program or PhD program using the new online Application System Fall 2017 start dates, you are required to upload scanned copies of documents as part of your program application. Instructions about scanned documents required and details of how to submit appropriate scanned copies are included within the online application.
Applications for September 2017 will open October 15, 2016.
Applicants must submit an online application along with all supporting documents by the application deadline on Monday, January 9th, 2017.
- Apply for Fall 2017 https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/apply-online
- Submit scanned transcripts from all post-secondary institutions. Instructions about scanned documents required and details of how to submit appropriate scanned copies are included within the online application.*
- Three confidential letters of reference.
- Write a brief statement of your interests in philosophy (Max 600 words).
- Upload a short, recent paper (15-20 pages) that gives an indication of your ability to criticize, analyze or develop philosophical arguments, preferably in the area in which you wish to specialize.
- Evidence of English Language proficiency is required for applicants from a university outside of Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction. Tests must have been taken with the last 2 years at the time of submission of your application.
* If you are accepted for Admission to the Graduate program in the Department of Philosophy, UBC, you will need to send ONE official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended, mailed in signed and sealed envelopes, issued by the institution directly to:
Faculty of Graduate & Post-Doctoral Studies
University of British Columbia
170-6371 Crescent Road
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z2