– The Limits of Free Will: Selected Papers (Oxford University Press: forthcoming 2016).
– The Oxford Handbook of HUME. Edited with an introduction. (Oxford University Press: 2016).
– The Philosophy of Free Will: Essential Readings from the Contemporary Debates, edited with Oisin Deery (Oxford University Press, 20013)
– The Riddle of Hume’s Treatise: Skepticism, Naturalism and Irreligion (Oxford University Press, 2008)
– Freedom and Moral Sentiment: Hume’s Way of Naturalizing Responsibility (Oxford University Press, 1995)
My interests cover the areas of free will and moral responsibility along with various topics in early modern philosophy. Within the area of free will and moral responsibility I am particularly interested in the challenge of scepticism and theories of responsibility that appeal to reactive attitudes or moral sentiments. On the subject of early modern philosophy I am especially concerned with the philosophy of David Hume and how his philosophy relates to problems of religion and atheism.
In addition to teaching at UBC I hold an appointment (half-time) at the University of Gothenburg, where I am Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Gothenburg Responsibility Project.
For further information regarding my publications, presentations, teaching and other such matters please see my personal web page.