Philosophy of mind, philosophy of cognitive science.I work primarily in philosophy of psychology/cognitive science, and more generally, philosophy of mind. In recent years, I have increasingly focused on perceptual and affective consciousness, pain and pleasure.
- "Pain and Pleasure" to appear in the Routledge Handbook of Emotion Theory, edited by Andrea Scarantino.
- "What is a pain in a body part?" Canadian Journal of Philosophy 50(2): 143-158, 2020.
- "Does the IASP Definition of Pain Need Updating?" PAIN Reports, 4 (2019) e777: 1-7.
[Reactions 2020a,b and Responses 2020a,b, PAIN Reports]
- "Is the Pain Experience Transparent? Introspecting Phenomenal Qualities," Synthese, 196: 677-708, 2019.
- "Reasons and Theories of Sensory Affect" (with Matt Fulkerson). In The Philosophy of Pain: Unpleasantness, Emotion, and Deviance, edited by David Bain, Michael Brady and Jennifer Corns, Routledge, 2019: 27-59.
- "Pain" in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (First published in 2005 -- Last revision: March 2019)
- "Recently introduced IASP definition of ‘nociplastic pain’ needs better formulation" (with Adam Shriver) Pain 159: 1176-1177, 2018. (With a response from the Taxonomy Committee, Eva Kosek et al.)
- "A Contemporary Account of Sensory Pleasure". This is a bit revised and slightly longer version of a chapter that appeared in Pleasure: A History, edited by Lisa Shapiro (Oxford University Press, 2018).
- "Defending the IASP Definition of 'Pain'," The Monist, 100(4): 439–464, October 2017. Written for an interdisciplinary audience. (DOI: 10.1093/monist/onx021— direct link to the published version.)
- "Critical comments on Williams and Craig’s recent proposal for revising the definition of pain" (with Andrew Wright), Pain 158(2)-362-363, 2017. [Here is a link to a slightly longer version]
- "Pain: Perception or Introspection?" in The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Pain, edited by Jennifer Corns, 2017.
- For almost a full list of my publications, visit my PhilPapers page.
Additional Department Role
Graduate Studies Placement Officer