In order to be accepted into the Major in Philosophy program, students need only declare their major using the online Student Service Centre, generally prior to the start of their third year. There is no need to apply to the Philosophy Department in order to enter the Major in Philosophy program (in contrast to the Honours in Philosophy program which does require an application).
Students must take at least 42 credits (and no more than 60 credits) in Philosophy, subject to the following requirements:
- PHIL 220, 230, 240 (9 credits)
- Two courses (6 credits) from the 300-level History of Philosophy sequence: PHIL 310, 311, 314, 315
- PHIL 330, 340 (6 credits)
- An additional 15 credits of 300-/400-level Philosophy courses (excluding PHIL 400 and 401) to provide a total of at least 30 credits at the 300-/400-level
- Any additional 3-credit Philosophy course (including 100-level and non-required 200-level courses)
- 400-level philosophy research requirement: PHIL 491, or any one of 418, 426, 431, 432, 440, 450, 452, 455, 469 (3 credits)
The Department strongly advises any student considering a Major in Philosophy to take at least six credits of 100-level or non-required 200-level Philosophy courses to gauge their interest and talent. These courses are PHIL 100 (6), PHIL 101 (3), PHIL 102 (3), PHIL 120 (3), PHIL 125 (3), PHIL 150 (3), PHIL 211 (3), PHIL 212 (3), and PHIL 260 (3).
See our Undergraduate Courses page for current philosophy course listings.