The philosophy honours program provides advanced training in philosophical research and methodology to outstanding students.
Students are encouraged to apply to the Philosophy Department for admission to the honours program by the end of their second year. Applicants are normally expected to:
- Have a minimum grade of 80% in at least two of Phil 220, 230, or 240;
- Have a recommendation from a philosophy instructor; and
- Submit an application form, available here.
Students interested in being considered for our 2022W program intake must e-mail their completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2022. Letters of recommendation should also be sent to email@example.com by this date.
Please direct any questions you might have about our honours program to the Undergraduate Majors Advisor.
To obtain an honours degree, students must complete at least 60 credits in philosophy with the following requirements:
- The following five courses (15 credits) are required: PHIL 220, 230, 240, 330, 340
- Two courses (6 credits) must be chosen from the 300-level history of philosophy sequence: PHIL 310, 311, 314, 315
- Two 6-credit honours seminars (12 credits): PHIL 390, 490
- An additional 24 credits of third- and fourth-year PHIL courses (excluding PHIL 400, 401, and 491) to provide a total of at least 48 third- and fourth-year PHIL credits (including the third- and fourth-year credits required above).
- Any additional 3-credit PHIL course (including 1xx and non-required 2xx courses).
The Department also strongly suggests any student considering an honours degree in philosophy to take at least six credits of 1xx or non-required 2xx courses to gauge their interest and develop their interests. These courses are Phil 100 (6), 101 (3), 102 (3), 120 (3), 125 (3), 150 (3), Phil 211 (3), 212 (3), 260 (3).