A Philosophy major provides students with a thorough grounding in the core subdisciplines of philosophy: epistemology (the theory of knowledge), metaphysics (the theory of being), logic (the theory of reason and inference), value theory (including ethics, politics and aesthetics) and the history of philosophy. It also allows plenty of flexibility to pursue your passions.
In order to be accepted into the Major in Philosophy program, students need only declare their major using the online Student Service Centre. This can be done during their second year and is generally done prior to the start of their third year.
Students majoring in Philosophy must take at least 42 approved credits in Philosophy (or accepted equivalent courses), including at least 30 upper-level credits, subject to the following requirements:
- Symbolic Logic: PHIL 220 or 222
- Value Theory: at least one of PHIL 230 or 330*
- Epistemology/Metaphysics: at least one of PHIL 240 or 340*
- History of Philosophy: at least 6 credits from PHIL 310, 311, 313, 314, 315, 316, 371, 378, 388, or ASIA 372
- Research Seminar: at least one of PHIL 418, 426, 431, 432, 440, 450, 452, 455, 469, or 491
- Upper-Level Requirement: students are required to complete a total of 30 upper-level credits in Philosophy, including any upper-level courses taken to meet the above requirements (credit for PHIL 400 and 401 is not permitted toward any specialization in Philosophy, including the Major).
- Additional Philosophy at Any Level Requirement: students must complete additional courses in Philosophy at any level in order to meet the total number of credits (42) required for the Major.
We also strongly recommend, but do not require, that students considering study in Philosophy complete one or more introductory courses to build their foundation and develop their interest in a specific philosophical area. Introductory courses may be selected from amongst PHIL 100, 101, 102, 120, 125, 211, 212, 235, 250, 260, or Arts One. Any preparatory courses completed may be applied to the Additional Philosophy at Any Level requirement.
*Students considering graduate study in Philosophy are encouraged to complete all four of PHIL 230, 240, 330, and 340.