The Philosophy Essay Clinic is available to any undergraduate student enrolled in a philosophy course at UBC who needs help with their philosophical writing.
Tutors will provide:
- general advice on structuring an argument; and
- critical commentary on draft papers.
Tutors will not provide:
- text or specific ideas for student papers;
- tutorials or help with course content for individual philosophy courses; or
- more than occasional assistance with basic writing skills (please use the UBC Writing Centre for this purpose).
With this in mind, please come to the clinic with a draft paper to review and a clear sense of the support you need from our tutors.
Essay Clinic Tutors and Hours
The Philosophy Essay Clinic will be open for eight weeks during peak writing months. This term’s clinic runs from Tuesday 9 February – Friday 9 April and will take place on Zoom.
There will be two drop-in blocks for the duration of the clinic:
- Tuesdays, 3:00 – 4:30 PM (PT)
- Fridays, 10:00 – 11:30 AM (PT)
Waiting rooms will be enabled for each drop-in session, and students will be admitted into the clinic on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you are interested in attending the clinic, please e-mail email@example.com with your name, student number, and preferred drop-in date. You will receive a confirmation e-mail and the Zoom meeting details for the drop-in session within one business day of your initial request. Please note that e-mails received after 5:00 PM (PT) on the day before a drop-in will not be read until 9:00 AM (PT) the next morning.
If you cannot make either of our drop-in days, please contact one of our tutors by email to schedule an appointment. Please note: appointments run for no more than 20 minutes, so come prepared with questions to ask.