The Philosophy Essay Clinic is available to any undergraduate student enrolled in a philosophy course at UBC who needs help with their philosophical writing.
Tutors will provide:
- general advice on structuring an argument; and
- critical commentary on draft papers.
Tutors will not provide:
- text or specific ideas for student papers;
- tutorials or help with course content for individual philosophy courses; or
- more than occasional assistance with basic writing skills (please use the UBC Writing Centre for this purpose).
With this in mind, please come to the Essay Clinic with a draft paper to review and a clear sense of the support you need from our tutors.
Essay Clinic Tutors and Hours
The Philosophy Essay Clinic will be open for eight weeks during peak writing months. This term’s Essay Clinic runs from Monday 3 February – Friday 3 April. There will be no sessions on Family Day (February 17th) or during Reading Break (February 18-21).
- Dr. Tom Bittner: email@example.com
- Bianca Crewe (PhD student): firstname.lastname@example.org
There are two ways to use the clinic:
- Drop-in: No appointment is necessary. The two drop-in blocks take place in Buchanan E274 and are scheduled as follows:
- Drop-in Block 1: Mondays, 12:00 – 1:30 PM.
- Drop-in Block 2: Thursdays, 9:00 – 10:30 AM.
- By appointment: If you cannot make it to the drop-in clinic, please contact one of the tutors by email to schedule an appointment. Please note: appointments run for no more than 20 minutes, so come prepared with questions to ask.