The Philosophy Essay Clinic is available to any undergraduate student enrolled in a philosophy course at UBC who needs help with their philosophical writing.
Tutors will provide:
- general advice on structuring an argument; and
- critical commentary on draft papers.
Tutors will not provide:
- text or specific ideas for student papers;
- tutorials or help with course content for individual philosophy courses; or
- more than occasional assistance with basic writing skills (please use the UBC Writing Centre for this purpose).
With this in mind, please come to the clinic with a draft paper to review and a clear sense of the support you need from our tutors.
Essay Clinic Tutors and Hours
The Philosophy Essay Clinic will be open for eight weeks during peak writing months. This term’s clinic runs from October 4 Monday to December 3 Friday and will take place on Zoom.
There will be two drop-in blocks for the duration of the clinic:
- Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:00 AM (PT)
- Fridays, 9:00 – 10:30 AM (PT)
Please use the following Zoom links to enter the clinic:
- Thursday Clinic: https://ubc.zoom.us/j/68585415337?pwd=Y1VhdTVPRWtaZllVM0F6aWMzQnhxQT09
- Friday Clinic: https://ubc.zoom.us/j/65490764673?pwd=blM1bnNiMnBER3h0aXpIbHRXdS9DUT09
Each student will be given 20 minutes on a first-come, first-served basis. Waiting rooms will be enabled until the session is fully booked.
If you cannot make either of our drop-in days, please email one of our tutors to schedule an appointment. Please note that each appointment runs for no more than 20 minutes, so please bring the prompt you are working on and a draft of your essay.