The Philosophy Essay Clinic is available to any undergraduate student enrolled in a philosophy course at UBC who needs help with their philosophical writing.
Tutors will provide:
- general advice on structuring an argument; and
- critical commentary on draft papers.
Tutors will not provide:
- text or specific ideas for student papers;
- tutorials or help with course content for individual philosophy courses; or
- more than occasional assistance with basic writing skills (please use the UBC Writing Centre for this purpose).
With this in mind, please come to the Essay Clinic with a draft paper to review and a clear sense of the support you need from our tutors.
Essay Clinic Tutors and Hours
The Philosophy Essay Clinic will be open in Buchanan E274 for eight weeks during peak writing months:
- Term 1: Monday, October 7 – Friday, November 29.
- Term 2: TBA.
- Dr. Tom Bittner: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bianca Crewe (PhD student): email@example.com
There are two ways to use the clinic:
- Drop-in: No appointment is necessary. The two drop-in blocks are as follows:
- Drop-in Block 1: Mondays, 12:00 – 1:30 PM (The Monday 4 November session will be held from 1:30 – 3:00 PM; the Monday 18 November session has been rescheduled for Friday 22 November from 2:00 – 3:30 PM).
- Drop-in Block 2: Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:00 AM.
- By appointment: If you cannot make it to the drop-in clinic, please contact one of the tutors by email to schedule an appointment. Please note: appointments run for no more than 20 minutes, so come prepared with questions to ask.