The Department’s Philosophy Essay Clinic is designed to help undergraduate students with their philosophical writing. Available to any student enrolled in a philosophy course at UBC, the clinic connects students with tutors during the peak writing periods of each term.
What services does the Essay Clinic provide?
Tutors in the Essay Clinic will provide:
- general advice on structuring an argument; and
- critical commentary on draft papers.
The tutors will NOT provide:
- Text or specific ideas for student papers;
- Tutorials or help with course content for individual philosophy courses; or
- More than occasional assistance with basic writing skills (please use the UBC Writing Centre for this purpose).
With this in mind, please come to the Essay Clinic with a draft paper to review and a clear sense of the support you need from our tutors.
Who are the tutors?
The Essay Clinic is staffed by two tutors: Dr. Tom Bittner and a PhD student, Bianca Crewe.
When and where is the Essay Clinic held?
The Essay Clinic will be held in Buchanan E274 for 8 weeks during peak writing months:
- Term 1: Monday 7 October – Friday 29 November 2019.
- Term 2: TBA.
How do I use the Essay Clinic?
- Drop-in: No appointment is necessary. The two drop-in blocks are as follows:
- Drop-in Block 1: Mondays, 12:00 – 1:30 PM (The Monday 4 November session will be held from 1:30 – 3:00 PM; the Monday 18 November session has been rescheduled for Friday 22 November from 2:00 – 3:30 PM).
- Drop-in Block 2: Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:00 AM.
- By appointment: If you cannot make it to the drop-in clinic, please contact one of the tutors by email to schedule an appointment. Please note: appointments run for no more than 20 minutes, so come prepared with questions to ask.